The Great Dolomites Road was built in the early 20th century to encourage the development of the tourist economy and show the world the natural beauties of the Dolomites, which have been at the centre of international attention since the beginning of the 20th century.
The provincial law approved in 1897 by the then Government of Tyrol provided for the construction of the Great Dolomites Road, starting in Trento and ending up in Dobbiaco, passing through the Pordoi Pass, Arabba, the Campolongo Pass and Cortina. Work began in May 1901, and the stretch of road between the Fassa Valley and Livinallongo was opened in autumn 1905. The road was worked on by 2,500 workers paid an average of three crowns a day.
The overall cost of building the road was 1,115,400 crowns. At the Pordoi Pass, which is the highest point on the road at 2,239m tall, you can still see the commemorative obelisk raised in 1905, which shows the technical details of the road. Between Canazei and Arabba the road has 61 hairpin turns, 28 near Canazei and 33 near Arabba, weaving round like a long snake.
Trento, Passo Pordoi, Arabba, Passo Campolongo, Cortina, Dobbbiaco.
191 km - 3h 11m