Palazzo delle Albere houses Trento’s branch of the Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Trento and Rovereto, with the best of the permanent collection up to 1918 and a programme of temporary exhibitions centering around 19th-century artists from Central Europe.
The exhibition goes up to the end of the First World War, with works by Venetian artists from Ca’ Pesaro: Umberto Moggioli, Tullio Garbari, Umberto Boccioni, and Gino Rossi. An exhibition space since 1981, first as the contemporary art section of the Provincial Art Museum and then, from 1987, as part of the Mart, Palazzo delle Albere takes its name from the double line of poplars that once lined the road leading from the centre of the city to the suburban villa.
The building was built on the orders of the Madruzzo Prince-Bishoprics in the mid-16th century, and was once where the Council of Trento held its meetings. In 1969 the building was bought by the Provincial Council of Trento, which renovated it. The instability of this magnificent building was down to various events which, starting from the 18th century, contributed to its decline: in 1796 a ferocious fire ruined the villa irreparably, and by the end of the 19th century, the building was being used as a farmhouse.