It was the mother church of all the others in Val di Fassa and built between the first and second half of the 1500s. The Church of S. Giovanni which is located in Vigo di Fassa dates back to the end of the 1400s. The place was once the a point of reference for all the faithful of the Fassana community who gathered for religious solemnities and baptisms. The building is in gothic-alpine style and is characterized by a tall, pointed bell tower with a Romanesque structure. Inside, in the apse, you can admire two large walls with frescoes from the Tyrolean school, one of which dates back to 1498 and depicts scenes from the life of San Giovanni. The altar instead, in neo-Gothic style, can be dated towards the end of the 19th century. An example of a particularly ancient wall painting is on the outer wall of the Romanesque apse below the current church of San Giovanni. Gothic windows open towards the valley with spurs buttresses. The interior has three naves: here are frescoes with stories from the life of St. John, kneeling armor figures, late Romanesque reliefs, the A. Longo altarpiece from 1790, and Pederiva’s Via Crucis.
Vigo di Fassa
92.3 km - 1h 26m